Venue

University of Information Science and Technology “St. Paul the Apostle” – Ohrid

Address: Partizanska bb, 6000 Ohrid, R. Macedonia
Telephone: +389 46 511 000
Fax: +389 46 511 567
Email: act@uist.edu.mk


Ohrid – Sub Specie Aeternitatis; City of UNESCO

In the treasury of European prehistory and history Ohrid is a “live city” for seven and half thousand years from which twenty four hundred years is an urban capitol on the coast of the magnificent Lake Ohrid, which alongside the Baikal Lake in Kafkaesque and the African Lake Tanganyika is considered among the oldest lakes in the world. This aqua system is not only abundant with the endemic species and fauna, but also at the bottom of the lake are preserved exceptional archaeological values from the old prehistoric period. These are remains from pile lake dwellings from the Copper, Bronze and the Iron Age on the sites of Usta on Drim and Vrbnik at Struga, and the surroundings of Struga, further in the Bay of Bones (Zaliv na Koskite) and the Bay of Bombs (Zaliv na Bombite),at the v.Peštani, and the Bay of the Goat (Zaliv na Prčot) by the v.Trpejca on the east lake coast. The city of Ohrid, a legitimate heir of the bright ancient Lychnidos, actually represents a brief cultural history of Republic of Macedonia, a bishopric center embedded in the powerful antique civilization, and later through the well known Ohrid Archbishopric with the vision of St.Cyril and St.Methodius, the protectors of Europe become a worldwide reference, and lead the way for the Slavic civilization. Moreover, throughout the centuries it also designates the entire Macedonian ecclesiastic history.
Within the city in the 10th century the first pan Slavic University in Europe was founded with the activity of St.Clement and St. Nahum of Ohrid, thus obtaining the prestigious name of “Slavic Jerusalem“, and “Venice of the Balkans”. Ohrid was the most important Macedonian-Slavic seat of the so called Samuel’s Kingdom. In this eternal city from the 10th to the 20th centuries there was a legend that 365 churches were erected for each day of the year, and the immortality of many icon and fresco painters, builders and artisans has been interlaced, namely those who in the Byzantine and Ottoman period spread the glory of this city and of Macedonia worldwide and their achievements are vivid till day.
With every step taken in the city the cultural – historical monuments render the continuity of life: the Ancient Theater in the old part of the city, the epigraphic monuments built into later date edifices and the fortress walls, the basilicas with lavish mosaic floors from the Early Christian period (5th – 6th century), the medieval sacral monuments with exceptional fresco ensembles are representative specimens of the Byzantine art- the cathedral church of the Ohrid Archbishopric, the Holy Sophia (10th -14th centuries), the Holy Virgin Peribleptos (13th century), St.John the Theologian-Kaneo (13th-14th century), St.Nicholas and the Holy Virgin of the Hospital (Bolnica) from the 14th century, the Small St.Clement (14th century), Sts.Constantine and Helen (14th century), the Small Holy Healers,the Great Holy Healers, St.Demetrius, St.Nicholas of Gerakomia, the Holy Virgin of Kamensko…Today, the archeological compound at Plaošnik with Saint Clement’s restored church of St.Panteleimon (10th-15th centuries) and Samuel’s fortress that stands proudly on the high west slope above the shore of Lake Ohrid all create a perfect architectural bond.
In the newer history the radiance of the city of Ohrid was felt in the 19th century, when it was the core of the revival movement in Macedonia, especially with the activity of one of the most powerful intellectual minds of the time in Europe, Grigor Prlièev a native of Ohrid, the great poet who in 1861 in Athens was proclaimed the “Second Homer”. In the 20th century Ohrid was a dominant cultural and spiritual center of Macedonia, with the strive to develop even more, from the period of the Ilinden Uprising (1903) and the dream of the Macedonian people for their own state was achieved through the National Liberation War with the constituting of Republic of Macedonia in 1944 in frames of the Yugoslavian Federation. Becoming a shield of the Macedonian national identity, Ohrid was the center of the restored Ohrid Archbishopric embodied in the Macedonian Orthodox Church, and in 1967 in the House of Urania was founded the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts. A crown even was the assertion of Ohrid, and Lake of Ohrid in world’s cultural heritage list by UNESCO in 1979/80.
With the independence of Macedonia on September 8th 1991, Ohrid once again became a synonym for an international scientific and cultural center, and a represent of Republic of Macedonia as a unique destination in the social and political life (with J.Plevneš).

Pasko Kuzman

From the book: Ohrid, World Heritage Site; published with the financial support of the UNESCO Venice Office – Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe (UNESCO-BRESCE) and Cooperazione Italiana; Skopje 2009

The house of the wealthy Robevi family
Ohrid and Lake Ohrid
Street in the old town
Samuil’s Fortress over the old town in Ohrid
Saint Clement of Ohrid, icon, 13th-14th century
Church of Saint John the Theologian at Kaneo on the cliff.
St. Sofija church
The exterior of the monastery St. Panteleimon

* The images are credit to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrid


Each year, from 12th of July until the 20th of August there is the Ohrid Summer Festival that takes place all around the city and it is a festival of classical music, theater, and dance.

http://ohridskoleto.com.mk/en/news/arsovski-ohrid-summer-festival-an-everlasting-magic/
Ohrid Summer festival event